Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) Services
The District of Columbia has developed the Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) Program to provide comprehensive care to adult victims of rape, sexual assault, and other sex crimes. The DC SANE program is a partnership between the Executive Office of Mayor, Office of Victim Services and Washington Hospital Center where medical forensic exams are conducted.
The program is staffed 24 hours-a-day, 7 days-a-week by nurses with specialized training in medical forensic evidence collection. Exams are available to victims within 96 hours of an incident.
DC SANE Services
- Evidence collection by nurses with specialized training in medical forensic evidence collection.
- STDs/HIV testing and prophylactic treatment for STDs/HIV and pregnancy.
- Support services by victim advocates from the DC Rape Crisis Center.
- Referrals to counseling and crime victim compensation.
- Follow-up care at the Lighthouse Center for Healing.